Sometimes you simply have a melody on your mind and your trying to figure out what chords to play along with it. Now this tutorial offers a simple approach taken from our MELODY Course, showing you how to do that:
Finding chords for your melody, steps to follow:
- Try to transpose the melody to a scale you know well.
- Try to find your bass notes first.
- Start with the root note (of the scale).
- Many progressions start or end with the root note (tonic).
- After finding a fitting bass progression, build chords on it.
- A basic chord is built from the 1st, 3rd and 5th scale degree.
Check out our new melody course:
We are offering a great MIDI Pack with predesigned melodies and chord progressions to chose from as inspiration. Also, if you want to dive deeper into writing chords, feel free to take a look at our course: Harmony & Chord Progressions.