- Mixing. Complete mixing process, full session from start to finish only using stock Ableton effects.
- Theoretical background. While going through state of the art mixing techniques, everything will be explained in detail.
- Pick up tricks and skills, save valuable time. Learn new techniques and apply them to your own mixes right away.
- Software. We are only using native Ableton effects in this mixing series.
What you are getting
✓ A complete start-to-finish mixing process on a state of the art pop-house track.
✓ 40+ Studio sessions with Francois
✓ 5h+ online video sessions with lifetime-access
✓ Slides / cheat sheets you can always quickly turn to
✓ Bonus 1: Ableton Project (instrumental) used in this couse (using Ableton Live 9 Standard + NI Massive 1.3.xx (or higher))
✓ Bonus 2: Vocal Mixing Sessions
This course will take you through:
- ✓ Avoid common mixing errors and psycho-acoustic traps
- ✓ Prepare your Ableton Session for a great mixing workflow
- ✓ Use EQ to make room and properly place elements
- ✓ Utilize compressors to add or remove dynamics
- ✓ Use saturation & distortion to add upper harmonics to the mix
- ✓ Properly split your bass freqencies for sub-separation
- ✓ Identify the right song-part to start mixing
- ✓ Mix with Ableton stock plugins
- ✓ Mix instruments, drums and bass with EQ, compression, etc
- ✓ Correctly use groups, send effects and audio while mixing
- ✓ Master the fundamentals and theories of sound perception
- ✓ Mix Preparation & First Balance
What is the musical idea of the song. Setting up your session for a great mixing workflow, order of tracks, grouping, creating busses. Identifying the most important section and instruments in your song.
✓ Bass Layers & Sub Bass Separation
Why mono bass, separating sub frequencies, kick-bass side-chaining techniques, multiband side-chaining, dynamic EQ, etc.
How the compressor works and is applied in the mixing stage, drum and bass compression, side-chain compression, multiband compression, parallel compression, New-York compression, limiting
✓ Covering Theoretical Background
Phase cancellation, room treatment, law of the first wavefront, how our ears sense the direction and distance of sound, Fletcher-Munson Curve, anti-phase
- ✓ Avoid Common Mixing Errors
- Referencing, "louder sounds better"-trap, finding the right mixing volume, subtractive vs additive EQ, dithering, phasing, awareness for resonances caused by your environment and many more.
✓ Complete Mixing Process
After finding a first balance and an order for our mixing process we're working our way through cleaning, gain staging, eqing, compressing, sound enhancing, bussing, balancing the track step by step, working our way down from the most important elemtents.
Dealing with resonances, learn to avoid upward spirals of EQ boosting, best practise to avoid frequency masking, why we favor cuts over boosts, why to use shelf filters before peak filters, before notch filters, mid-side EQ, etc.
✓ Sweetening to taste
Adding sound enhancing elements, like send reverbs, stereo effects, slap delays on our vocals, haas effect, etc.
Listen to the song we are mixing in this course
Full Course Curriculum
Choose Your Course Plan
Course Pack Basic
✓ Mixing Course (5h+ Tutorials)
✓ always incl. course files
Course Pack Plus
✓ Mixing Course (5h+ Tutorials)
✓ always incl. course files
Course (5h+ Tutorials)
✓ (save more than 20% compared to single prices)
What People Say
- "Guys: just a big complement! such great courses. I already enrolled in two! Keep up the good work!"
- - Chris Kolbe (via Facebook)
- "I just wanted to send you a small email saying this course really has been a game changer. I have learned so much in such a small time frame. Everything was explained so well I could actually follow what you were saying and copy it to my own music" - Colton M.
- "I'm learning so much from your stuff it's ridiculous. A huge "THANK YOU" goes out to you, keep up the great work :)"
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
Do I need to own specific Software / Plugins / Packs?
Nothing is needed for watching the course. If you want to follow along step-by-step, you might need to have specific software installed. You’ll find a section called "Whats required?" on this page, indicating the specific requirements for this course. Make sure you have the mentioned necessary software, packs and plugins installed on your system.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 48 hours and we will give you a full refund - due to the digital download nature of the optional sound packs, we can only refund the course part. No refund on bulk / pack orders. One refund per person.
How do I access course files, if any are included?
If you're getting the basic course option, a download link will be provided above or below the video of the first or second lecture of the course (usually named 'Setup & Downloads'). In case you're getting the course with one of the pack options, the additional packs will be delivered to you via email.
Where will I be able to log into my course?
The courses are hosted on another server. Once you've bought a course, you'll be getting a mail saying "Redeem your copy of "Course …"". Follow the "Confirm your account" link in that mail and you will end up on the course-platform. There, you'll need to pick your password and log in. Your profile info will be already prepared for you. You can then always log in here:
If you already have a courses account, the new course will be added to your profile (assuming you buy it using the same email address associated with that account). If you have an account but buy a new course using a different email, get in touch and we will manually add it to your existing account.
Can I save money by getting one of the bundles?
Yes absolutely. The offered bundles give the best value by far with an extra discount of at least 30% on the usual shop prices. Including more sound packs, you'll get a perfect start to dive deeper. You'll be able to reverse engineer the project files and discover how to improve your own productions.
What if I have further questions?
We are available to help you with any questions, get in touch via: email@example.com
Software: We are only using stock Ableton effects in this course. The Ableton Project (instrumental) used in this couse (using Ableton Live 9 Standard + NI Massive 1.3.xx (or higher))
Search info and inspiration: Mixing a track from start to finish using only stock Ableton effects.